The California-Mexico Studies Center (CMSC) recently announced two new opportunities for undocumented youth with DACA to travel to Mexico for 21 days. These opportunities are open to DACAmented folks regardless of the city/state they live in the U.S. You also don’t have to be a college student to qualify.
The Fall program runs from October 15 to November 6, 2016. The Winter program is from December 18, 2016 to January 15, 2017. After their independent family travel, participants will then proceed to Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico where they will immerse into a comprehensive language and cultural educational program at the Centro Tlahuica de Lenguas e Intercambio Cultural (CETLALIC) Institute; which consists of historical, cultural, linguistic, and academic “cátedras” on social movements, the Mexican educational, economic and political systems, various museum and archeological visits, and a 10-day home-stay living experience with Mexican host families while attending CETLALIC.
- Must have current DACA status;
- Be 21 years-old or older at the time of travel;
- Have a current passport from the Dreamers’ country of origin;
- Secure Advance Parole authorization from USCIS (after being accepted to the program);
- Commit to travel and participate in all program activities;
- Funding: Please note that the application for the Fall 2016 program is only for applicants that are willing to pay on their own the full amount of their participation (a total of $5,000). Whereas the Winter 2016 program is open for applicants that are willing to pay on their own (the program invites applicants that can only pay the required minimum of $2,500, and encourage Dreamers to continue seeking funding for at least $2,500 in financial support from their own college/university or independent sponsors).
Frequently Asked Questions:
“Q: Is there any age limit or requirement?
A: No. As long as the selected participant is 21 years or older at the time of travel.
Q: Are we going to get legal assistance to apply for advance parole?
A: Yes. All selected participants will prepare their Advance Parole applications at the same time under the supervision of CMSC and Hermandad Mexicana Foundation.
Q: I live outside of the Los Angeles area, or in another state, can I still apply or be considered?
A: Yes, apply and we’ll consider you regardless of your location. If selected, based on the criteria of the program, you’ll need to attend at least a couple of meetings in LA.
Q: I just graduated and/or I am currently not attending school, do I still qualify?
A: Absolutely yes.”
For more information and to apply, please visit their official website: “2016 Fall and Winter Study Abroad Programs”
The deadlines to apply are: July 20, 2016 (Fall program) and August 31, 2016 (Winter program)
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE THIS PAGE WITH YOUR FRIENDS!
Don’t miss out on the latest resources available for undocumented students, make sure to “like” our page on Facebook. Please consider donating to our platform so we can provide more information and resources to help undocumented students and their families. Any amount helps!
At My Undocumented Life we provide up-to-date information and resources for undocumented immigrants and allies. We post scholarship opportunities that are open to undocumented students, strategies for navigating the educational system, information on how to apply for DACA/Advance Parole, news on DAPA, and much more. Most importantly, we want to provide a sense of community to our diverse group of readers. Learn more about our work here: “About Us“
Subscribe to My Undocumented Life (it's free!)
Categories: Advance Parole
Leave a Reply