By CAROLINA VALDIVIA
In light of the Trump administration’s decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, undocumented young adults with DACA have until October 5th of this year to submit their renewal applications if their current DACA expires before/on March 5, 2018. Given the very short notice to renew, it can be difficult to come up with the funds necessary to submit your DACA renewal application. Below are a few scholarship opportunities to help you cover the $495 fees associated with the renewal application. Make sure to like “My Undocumented Life” Facebook page. We will continue to post information on there about events where you can access free legal assistance for DACA renewal applications and other forms of immigration relief.
1. UndocuMedia (nationwide)- This is an online platform for immigrant rights, which has set up a fundraiser with the goal of assisting 1,000 DACA recipients with their renewal applications. To apply for a $495 scholarship, fill out this form.
2. DACA Fund (nationwide, based in Los Angeles, CA)- Immigrant rights organizers in Los Angeles put together an online fundraiser to help folks renew their DACAs. To apply for a DACA renewal scholarship, send an e-mail to email@example.com. In your e-mail you must include an attached copy/picture of your current work permit (note: omit personal info like your USCIS #, WAC #, address and birthday), along with a brief explanation of any financial hardships you are currently facing.
3. Mexican Consulate (nationwide)- DACA Scholars, a free mobile app, announced that the Mexican Consulate will assist folks who are struggling financially and need to submit their DACA renewal applications before October 5th. Eligibility requirements vary slightly depending on the location so it is recommended that you contact your local Mexican Consulate office for more information and to apply.
4. DACA Fund (nationwide, based in Seattle, WA)- Immigrant rights organizers in Seattle created an online fundraiser to provide financial assistance to DACA beneficiaries who need to submit their renewal application before October 5th. To apply, fill out this form.
5. OC DACA Renewal Assistance (Orange County, CA only)- This scholarship opportunity was put together by the Orange County Immigrant Youth United. This opportunity is only open to folks who live in Orange County, CA. To apply, fill out this form.
6. Oregon DACA Coalition (Oregon only)– ODC coordinators will notify scholarship winners between Sept. 12 and Sept. 18. Recipients will receive a check issued to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” in the amount of $495.00. To apply, fill out this form.
Make sure to bookmark and share our more general Post-Election Information page which contains other relevant information and resources.
Be sure to “like” this blog on Facebook and subscribe to get daily updates on new scholarship opportunities, DACA, DAPA, & much more – see top right corner of page (or scroll down if you are visiting from your phone).