By CAROLINA VALDIVIA
The California-Mexico Studies Center (CMSC) just announced a travel-study program from August 1st to August 21st, 2017, and a 10-day course at the prestigious Mexican graduate school Colegio de la Frontera Norte (COLEF) in Tijuana, Baja California. The program offers the following: Advance Parole application preparation and filing assistance; Hotel, meals, field-trips, and travel insurance for the duration of the program; Local transportation and lawful re-entry into the U.S. by charter bus; A chance for Dreamers to visit their birthplace, conduct family ethnographic research, and discover Mexico independently; Psychological counseling and group therapy sessions; Leadership skills to create similar programs and/or other projects that benefit Dreamers to “pay-it-forward” as required by the program’s mission.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Be 21 years-old or older, and speak fluent Spanish
- Have an active DACA status good thru Sept. 30th
- Have a valid passport from the respective country of origin
- If applicant is Mexican-born, he/she must commit to apply to and attain the Instituto Nacional Electoral’s (INE) Credencial para Votar en el Extranjero by the time of departure*
- Must participate in the conference from Aug. 16-20 & return with the group on Aug. 21, 2017 via charter bus provided by the program to ensure every participant’s safe and legal return as a group and with legal representation.
- Must be able to pay the $2,500 program fee upon acceptance into the program
The deadline to apply is March 31, 2017
Note: The program indicates that “Please take into consideration that the Advance Parole application approval process time can vary from 1 to 4 months, therefore, we will give preference to those applicants who are quick to submit their completed online application, personal statement of purpose and letters of recommendation. We will consider everyone who applies within the application period from March 16 to March 31st, but we will review applications and select applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. Thus, we highly encourage you to apply and submit your supporting documentation as soon as possible. Please do not wait until the last minute.”
For more information and to apply, please visit their official website: Summer 2017 California-Mexico Dreamers Study Abroad Program
Make sure to bookmark and share our more general Post-Election Information page which contains other relevant information and resources.
Be sure to “like” this blog on Facebook and subscribe to get daily updates on new scholarship opportunities, DACA, DAPA, & much more – see top right corner of page (or scroll down if you are visiting from your phone).
Categories: Advance Parole