Undocumented students and FAFSA


As undocumented students, we DO NOT qualify for federal financial aid. However, institutions or scholarships may sometimes ask you to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application to obtain a Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a report that analyzes your family’s financial need.

Students with DACA, may use their Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the FAFSA. Remember, in doing so, you WILL NOT receive federal financial aid, but you can obtain the SAR. The SAR is an important tool that can be used to demonstrate need and can be used to apply for institutional aid and other scholarships.

In states such as California, where AB 540 undocumented students qualify for state financial aid, the CA DREAM Act provides a report of a student’s family financial need. To find a map of states that offer state financial aid to eligible undocumented students, please visit: “Tuition Equity for Undocumented Students

For more information and guidance on filling out the FAFSA, I highly recommend checking out these guides:

Financial Aid and Undocumented Students” by the Office of the U.S. Department of Education

I have DACA and I can use the FAFSA?” by United We Dream.

And, United We Dream‘s webinar:

(Skip to 4:50, the talk begins at that time)


Don’t miss out on the latest resources available for undocumented students, make sure to “like” our page on Facebook. Please consider donating to our platform so we can provide more information and resources to help undocumented students and their families. Any amount helps!

logo3ver2At My Undocumented Life we provide up-to-date information and resources for undocumented immigrants and allies. We post scholarship opportunities that are open to undocumented students, strategies for navigating the educational system, information on how to apply for DACA/Advance Parole, news on DAPA, and much more. Most importantly, we want to provide a sense of community to our diverse group of readers. Learn more about our work here: “About Us

Subscribe to My Undocumented Life (it's free!)

Enter your email to subscribe to notifications from this site

Categories: Applying to College

Tags: ,

2 replies

  1. The FAFSA pin number no longer exists – does anyone know how applying for the new FSA ID number works for undocumented folks?

    • If you are a DACA student you can use your DACA social to create and FSA ID. With an FSA ID, you do not have to print a signature page for yourself.

      However, if you are not DACA, you will need to print a signature page and sign. You can’t create an FSA ID.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from My Undocumented Life

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue Reading

%d bloggers like this: