By CAROLINA VALDIVIA
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) recently announced this year’s FlexMed initiative, which allows college sophomores in any major to apply for early assurance of acceptance to the school. Once accepted, you can pursue your studies unencumbered by the traditional science requirements and the MCAT.
To be eligible, students must:
- Complete two semesters of college biology, two semesters of college chemistry, OR two semesters of college physics
- The two semester requirement can cover any discipline of biology, chemistry, or physics including Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Cell Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunobiology, etc.
- AP or IB credit cannot substitute this requirement. If you have received college credit from AP or IB coursework, higher level science courses must be taken to fulfill this requirement.
- Coursework must be completed by the application deadline.
- Prior to matriculation, students will be required to complete the following courses:
- Two semesters of Biology (not AP or IB but college course work)
- Two semesters of Chemistry (not AP or IB but college course work)
- Two semesters of English
- One semester of Physics (AP or IB Physics in HS with a score of 4 or higher)
- Two semesters of lab in any science
- One semester of Health Policy, Public Health, or Global Health
- One semester of Ethics
- One semester of Statistics
- A Senior Thesis or its equivalent in an area of academic concentration
- An in-depth experience in which the student gains exposure to human illness
Pre-Health Dreamers notes that “Mount Sinai offers financial aid to DACA recipients through institutional loans, need-based aid, and scholarships”
The deadline to apply is January 15, 2017
For more information, and to apply, please visit their official website: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, FlexMed
Be sure to “like” this blog on Facebook to get daily updates on new scholarship opportunities, DACA, DAPA, & much more – see top right corner of page.
Categories: Applying to grad school